What is Enhance®Fitness?
EnhanceFitness, a low-cost, evidence-based group exercise and falls prevention program, helps older adults at all levels of fitness become more active, energized, and empowered to sustain independent lives.
“The women & men in the group are a great support system to keep me motivated to continue to exercise. EnhanceFitness has become a necessary element in my life”. – EnhanceFitness Participant
You can recognize an EnhanceFitness class by the relaxed atmosphere and the laughter in the room. A full hour of fun, EnhanceFitness focuses on dynamic cardiovascular exercise, strength training, balance, and flexibility — everything older adults need to maintain health and function as they age.
In a typical class, participants will experience:
- A certified instructor with special training in bringing out the physical best from older adults
- A 5-minute warm-up to get the blood flowing to the muscles
- A 20-minute aerobic workout that gets participants moving to (optional) lively music that the class chooses
- A 5-minute cool-down
- A 20-minute strength training workout with soft cuff weights on the arms and legs (0 up to 20 pounds)
- A 10-minute stretching workout to keep the muscles flexible
- Dynamic and static balance exercises throughout the class
- Lots of opportunities for participants to make new friends and acquaintances
- Each class may include up to 25 participants, from the frail to the more fit adult.
Beyond cuff weights, EnhanceFitness classes do not require any special equipment. A certified instructor, who has completed the EnhanceFitness training, will safely lead the class through an hour of exercises at a pace that’s right for the participants.
Participants’ progress can be followed with fitness checks completed at the time the individual joins EnhanceFitness, again at four months, and then as often as needed.
Over 99% of participants say they would recommend EnhanceFitness to a friend.
The class is proven to:
- Improve Physical Function
- Decrease depression
- Protect against Falls and Fall injury
- Provide a social benefit
- Promote a physically active lifestyle
- Reduce medical care utilization costs
- Decrease Unplanned hospitalizations
- Decrease mortality rates
Review EnhanceFitness research to learn more about program results and replication.