What is EnhanceFitness?
EnhanceFitness, a low-cost, evidence-based group exercise program, helps older adults at all levels of fitness become more active, energized, and empowered to sustain independent lives.
The women & men in the group are a great support system to keep me motivated to continue to exercise. EnhanceFitness has become a necessary element in my life. - EnhanceFitness Participant
You can recognize an EnhanceFitness class by the relaxed atmosphere and the laughter in the room. A full hour of fun, EnhanceFitness focuses on dynamic cardiovascular exercise, strength training, balance, and flexibility — everything older adults need to maintain health and function as they age.
In a typical class, participants will experience:
- A certified instructor with special training in bringing out the physical best from older adults
- A 5-minute warm-up to get the blood flowing to the muscles
- A 20-minute aerobics workout that gets participants moving, or a walking workout to lively music that the class chooses
- A 5-minute cool-down
- A 20-minute strength training workout with soft ankle and wrist weights (0 up to 20 pounds)
- A 10-minute stretching workout to keep the muscles flexible
- Balance exercises throughout the class
- Lots of opportunities for participants to make new friends and acquaintances
Each class may include up to 25 participants. Depending on the class, participants may either be amongst peers of their own level of fitness or a group of various fitness levels from the frail to the more fit older adult.
EnhanceFitness classes do not require any special or expensive equipment. A certified instructor, who has completed the EnhanceFitness training, will safely lead the class through an hour of dynamic exercises at a pace that’s right for the participants.
Participants' progress can be followed with fitness checks completed at the time the individual joins EnhanceFitness, again at four months, and then as often as needed.
Over 99% of participants say they would recommend EnhanceFitness to a friend. The class is proven to:
- Increase strength. People who regularly attend class grow stronger, improve their balance, and become more limber.
- Boost activity levels. Even the unfit quickly find themselves able to do the things they want to do, safely and independently.
- Elevate mood. Research shows that exercise can help prevent depression, and EnhanceFitness participants say they feel better physically and emotionally.
Review EnhanceFitness research
to learn more about program results and replication.